Spaghetti Squash + Turkey Meatballs
Who doesn't love a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs?! I know I do!
But let's be honest, when we sit down in front of bowl of spaghetti its pretty hard to eat just one serving (which is only 2 oz, have you ever measured this out?)
That 2 oz of whole wheat spaghetti is 210 calories & if you overestimate your portion or go for seconds, that's an easy 400 calories down the drain. P.S. that doesn't include the meatballs or sauce! Moral of the story, calories can add up real quick!
Fit girl alternative : Spaghetti Squash!
You can eat about 2x as much and still save calories (& carbs)!
For one serving slice the squash in half, spoon out the seeds**, place in a microwave save bowl with enough water to fill the bottom and steam for about 10-12min
| For two servings |
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce ( I like Hunt's Natural because there's not added sugar)
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 6 Turkey Meatballs (I used Rosina Gluten Free Italian Style)
- Vertically cut spaghetti squash, place 1/2 in a microwave safe bowl, add enough water to fill bowl about an inch. Steam in microwave for 10-12 min. Repeat for other half of the squash.
- Let cool and fork squash into spaghetti like strands
- Top with pasta sauce, tomatoes, and turkey meatballs (cooked according to package)
NUTRITIONAL INFO: | for 1 serving |
- Calories: 270, Carbs: 37g, Fat: 9g, Protein 10
Remember those seeds you saved?!
My favorite part is roasting these babies and enjoying them while I watch Netflix after dinner!
Simply toss in olive oil, line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the seeds so they're not overlapping one another, sprinkle with salt and bake on 400 for 20min
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #Fitgirlxtina. I'd love to see what you create!