Rice Cracker Tuna Melt
Back in the day, my go to sandwich was a tuna melt. At the time, I thought this was a healthy meal choice- I figured tuna fish has a lot of protein and how bad could it be for you? I overlooked the amount of mayo & buttered bread that it takes to make a good and comforting tuna melt.
I have recently recreated this little gem and it's so simple to put together for the perfect in-between meal snack! This version of a tuna melt is a healthy way to eat a sandwich without the excess carbs and unhealthy fats. .
My tuna salad includes a couple tbsp of plain Greek yogurt, red chili flakes, and garlic powder. I topped it with smashed avo + a slice heirloom tomato. You can add dill pickle, or anything else you'd like to this rice cake sandwich, so experiment and find the combo that you love!
- 1 can of Albacore Tuna
- 1/4 Haas Avocado
- 1 sliced of heirloom tomato
- 1 slice Sargento ultra-thin sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fat free plain yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper & salt
- 1 plain rice cakes
- Turn on your oven Broiler to high.
- Place a rice cake on a small baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine the tuna, yogurt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add the tuna mixture on the rice cake and spread evenly. Layer a tomato and smashed avocado on the tuna. Top with a slice of the cheese.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Put rice cake sandwich in the oven and watch carefully- the cheese only takes a minute or two to melt.
Calories: 250 Carbs: 12g Fat: 14g Protein: 22g